History of Flinders Island
Flinders Island was named after the English sea-captain MatthewFlinders, from whose writings one perceives a sensitive and articulateman. He came to this Island when it was completely covered by largeeucalypt forests and the beaches populated by seals of three species.(The seals are nearly gone, but the forests are protected by a NationalPark.) He named the small pyramid-shaped Island upon which we see thesun set, Mt. Chappell Island, after his beloved wife still in England,Anne Chappell. (Because of the large population of migratory birds onMt. Chappell Island, it also hosts a large population of snakes thatfeed on these birds; some of those snakes can be found on FlindersIsland, which thrills David and Lila, as snakes were a ubiquitous andprized presence at the Asklepion healing centres of ancient Greece.)
TheMountain upon whose haunches Healing Dreams sits is named after thegreat Polish explorer, Strzelecki. Its original aboriginal name meansGreat Dolphin or Great Fish and indeed, from Tasmania, its silhouettecan be seen jutting up in the distance impressively. The Mountain wasrevered by the early indigenous peoples of mainland Tasmania and nonelived here for many thousands of years, until in 1831 a group ofaboriginals was resettled here in a scheme that floundered for twentyyears until they were resettled back onto Tasmania.
The National Park, now approximately 7414 hectares, has only two trails init, one going to the top of the highest peak and one along the rocky headlands. All the rest is bush, and hides some great surprises.